Thursday, August 11, 2011

(More) Love for Awkward Black Girl

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via The Crunk Feminist Collective by moyazb on 8/11/11

 

Image of Issa Rae of Awkward Black Girl looking awkward in an Awkward Black Girl tank top.

I was writing a pretty depressing piece for today about why I'm not voting for Obama in 2012 but I'm still a bit skittish about comments post Kreayshawn so I need another month or two to mentally prepare for what I anticipate will be some serious backlash. Plus, I'm tired of being sad and overwhelmed by what's happening in the world so I thought I'd spotlight something that makes me smile!

I'm talking about The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl, an amazing web series that we've mentioned several times on the blog, facebook and tumblr!  Writer/director/actress Issa Rae plays J, an awkward black girl with a penchant for writing violent rhymes to blow off steam, a deep and abiding hate for spoken word, and the ability to clock and interrogate racism with righteous precision and be hilarious while doing it!

The cast and crew were worried that they'd have to stop the show because they had run out of money so they started a Kickstarter and have raised over $50,000 with an initial $30,000 goal!

The success of the show and the fundraising effort comfort me and suggest that the announcement of a possible Tyler Perry TV channel doesn't have to mean that the apocalypse is upon us. It is possible for independent awesomeness to survive and thrive if we are willing to support it and it looks like we are!



 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: