Friday, September 10, 2010

Proenza Schouler = #Assitchstatus

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via New Model Minority by Renina on 9/10/10

"We can act like wild animals?…."

"One day we got so drunk, I thought I heard God speaking to me…"

A peoples ability to control how and when they are represented is an indicator of the kind of power that they have in society.

In light of that, lets discuss this commercial.

First of all.

1. Philip Borgious pointed out in his book, In Search of Respect: Selling Crack in El Barrio, the irony of Black and Latino children who live in New York,    what is known as urban/hip hop culture that is then sold back to them and others by US corporations. Yet these same children are incredibly poor in one of the richest cities in the world.

I ain't playing.

The first example of this that comes to mind is the term, or notion of swag. What negro child came up with this,  what does it mean that corporations are using the notion to sell…Shit..I don't know…deodorant now.

I wrote Pharrell swag kinda heavy in I think 2007? So um, yeah.

Riddle me that.

This is what I thought of as I watch this Proenza Schouler commercial.

2. When will we get to tell our own fucking stories. And why is Black girls subjectivity/point of view being co-opted for clothing corporation? They don't have shit else other ways to sell their clothing? (I know why, I'm being rhetorical).

3. Working class, low income Black girls point of view is VIRTUALLY invisiblelized, (except as victims of violence, for the most part) in mainstream media. Why is this where "their" narrative shows up?

When will this negro Harmoy Korine tell his OWN story? #ummp.

Watch the videos and count the tropes.

40's?

Poverty Scene's

Country Black Girl voice.

We animals.

Acting a fool.

The men behind Proenza Schouler talk about the origins of the commercial here. I WANT TO HEAR FROM THE GIRLS. Not them.

***Drops the mic. Sashays off stage in leopard catsuit and yellow ballerina flats. Yes. I get down like that.

Thoughts?

Why Proenza 'nem trafficking in Black girl narratives to sell they shit?

Honestly, I want to know what THE Black girls in the commercial think about the commercial AND what do Black girls in general think. #ummhmm.

Related posts:

  1. Proenza Schouler = #Assitchstatus


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: