Thursday, June 30, 2011

Did you say lesbians? I love lesbians!

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via The Crunk Feminist Collective by sheridf on 6/29/11

So I'm sitting in a coffee shop talking with a brother about a trip he took to Africa to work in a village.  I was a little annoyed by his comments that more black kids should be taken to Africa so they can see how good they have it in America, but I decided not to intervene on that point.  (Good is a relative term and entitled US urban/suburban black youth can go to plenty urban and rural places in the US and see that they have greater access to basic needs.  No global gawking is necessary).

Then he proceeds to explain that one of the participants was a lesbian and that she started to become more feminine the more she got into the gender roles established in the community that hosted them.  He continued to talk about this woman reconsidering her "lesbianism" having had this experience in Africa until I explained that I did not agree with his perspectives on lesbianism as something wrong.

In hindsight I wish I had just said, "Did you say lesbians?  I love lesbians.  They are so awesome!"  Then followed that up with my long list of why I LOVE lesbians.

Lesbians founded my alma mater—I'm pretty sure of it.

Lesbians taught me about Marx in their spare time in Ohio.

Lesbians gave me a place to stay in DC, Oakland, Southern California, Ohio etc.

Lesbians are deliberate about having a relationship with my son.

A lesbian groomed my partner for his current position and still has the shit we left behind when we moved in her basement—MB we will handle our business soon.

Lesbians taught me about heterosexual privilege, homophobia, and heterosexism in addition to racism, sexism, ageism, ableism etc.

Lesbians played guitar and sang and danced with me

Lesbians write some really good fiction

Lesbians go door knocking with me on Get Out The Vote campaigns

Lesbians go marching and rallying with me

Lesbians fight for justice everywhere

Lesbians taught me about public policy, labor rights, women's rights activism and advocacy

Lesbians helped me paint and pack my house when we moved away

Lesbians brought me honey and took me out to dinner.

Lesbians created black women's studies

In short lesbians have always shown me and mine lots of love.

"Did you say lesbians? I LOVE LESBIANS, will be my first response next time someone wants to think that we might think alike because we are both, I dunno, black, speaking English, fancy the same coffee shop at the same time of day, whatever.  Next time I will be ready with a list of ALL the fly lesbians I love: Audre Lorde, June Jordan, Sapphire, Cheryl Clark, Me'shell Ndegeocello, JenRose, MaryBeth, Laura and Katie (shout out to your new beautiful baby girl), Moya, Nancy, Monique, Bonji, Taising and Jen, Carol, Smiley, just to name a few.  Do you love lesbians too?  Name your list of favorites and tell us why.  (Please be considerate, do not out anyone!)



 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: