Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Chanel

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via Black Girl with Long Hair by Black Girl With Long Hair (online) on 7/6/11

*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Where do you live?
C: Brooklyn, NY and I'm reppin Earth and all it's inhabitants.

What do you do?
C: I'm a maker/designer/artist.

Why did you make the decision to go natural?
C: I dye my hair so does that count? This whole "go natural" thing is kinda funny to me. It's an assumption that having a perm is the norm…The way I see it, I was born with this soft, fuzzy, stuff that grows out of the top of my dome. All modifications of that, in a way is un-natural; some things are just more altering, damaging and less reversible than others. I guess in that sense having a perm, dyeing and having locks are kinda the same thing to the hair itself. Now if we're speaking hair in political terms, self-discovery and pride, well that's a bit different.

In the long and short of the answer I have had many hairstyles and am currently rocking locks. For a minute when I was eleven I had a perm, but after my mom tried to do the "at home touch up," Just for me thing I was kinda finished with texture changing chemicals and opted for a blow out or press out when wanting to go straight. That's also around the time I was "allowed" to do my own hair. I guess I always viewed hair as part of one's costume or decoration, so I've been pretty brave with haircuts, color and extensions. Before locking I could often be caught giving myself ridiculous, unintentional, uneven haircuts which from time to time I still do for pals…Not sure why they trust me to cut their hair, but it's always a fun time.

When and how did you transition into natural hair?
C: Honestly I don't really remember. My perm days were quite short compared to my "natural" days. I started locking my hair around 6 years ago.

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
C: This is kinda like asking someone, "So when you stopped trying to look white, how did that work out for you?" Unfortunately this hair thing has such deep roots in this nation's acceptance of beauty, aesthetics and colonialism. Doing one's hair in a particular way generally says something about the person. For many in North America and in the Caribbean, some view a person that doesn't have straight or Anglo-esque hair as someone who isn't striving to achieve that. This may lead them to believe that the person is a non-conformist, liberated etc. For others, that's just the way they look and any extreme amount of time trying to achieve something different is just unnecessary and over the top for everyday grooming.

By not straightening my hair, I'm not trying to take a stand. I'm just doing my thing. I'm taking advantage of the fact that I'm not a slave to anyone's beauty agenda. I was born with this hair; I will do to it what I please. When I'm done with it I will cut it all off and it will grow again. I'm not a die-hard "natural" vs. "unnatural" gal. I just do what works for me right now. There is much stuff to do, learn and explore in the world. I'm not interested in spending too much of my life attempting to alter my appearance. I figure if I'm good with me, than others will be as well.

How would you describe your hair?
C: It's a lot of textures. Mostly, it's fine hair. The top has the most consistent swirl/kink/swivel/curl pattern. The back and sides have a different agenda and are kinda lazy curlers.

What is your regimen?
C: Generally I keep it real simple. I use a baking soda and water wash, apple cider vinegar rinse, olive oil for moisture and maybe lavender oil if I'm feeling fancy. With locks I find everything sticks. With the exception of my hair dye, which is damaging enough, I try not to use heavy products. Every once in a while, usually the first washes after I've dyed my hair I use Nature's Gate Jojoba Shampoo. Once a pal recommended a Shea butter shampoo and I feel like I was washing that crap out for years. I love my locks, but must say they are not for those with poor hygiene. The hair holds everything!

What mistakes have you made with your hair that you've learned from?
C: I've been pretty harsh on my hair. Once I cut my bangs too short and quickly realized that I didn't want to straighten the front of my hair everyday to wear that style. I had a Lil puff in the front…it was kind of a style, but was mostly awful.

What's the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
C: Drink water, eat right, exercise and leave it alone. Let it do it's own thing.

Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
C: Junkprints.com

Anything else you want to add?
C: I think we really need to start accepting the way we look and who we are. Once we do that the sky's the limit.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: