Friday, October 14, 2011

deluxvivens:wordsandsteel:curate:Tiya Miles, Public...

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via Liquor&Spice on 10/13/11



deluxvivens:

wordsandsteel:

curate:

Tiya Miles, Public Historian

by Susan Leem, associate producer

"In my family, there was an oral history about Native American heritage. And it's one that my grandmother talked about when I was young many a time on her front porch. So when I went to graduate school I wanted to explore this, and I was at a Native American history seminar when I first learned about Native American slave-holding. So I was confronted with two different ideas, or stories, about these relationships."
Tiya Miles

The MacArthur Foundation brought this fresh voice to our attention when it announced a public historian as one of their recent "genius" grant recipients. This is a fascinating title, and a weighty responsibility. What makes a historian a "public" one? And once you hear her speak, you'll ask, "Why aren't there more?"

beingblog

fantastic news for Tiya Miles!

i love tiya but loooooooooooooool  that the foundation "brought this fresh voice to our attention"?!

ours? who is we?

stuff like this gets my goat b/c it makes tiya and what she does some new thing that just happened, that people can feel excited about discovering.

rather than an indication of the systemic ignorance perpetrated about black and ndn history and the way in which so few people ever even think to question it.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: