Saturday, May 15, 2010

"Excuse me if I do not partake in all of the celebration of The 50th Anniver...

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via maia medicine on 5/15/10

"Excuse me if I do not partake in all of the celebration of The 50th Anniversary of The Pill because from my perspective it is still very much a reminder of the exploitation and violation of human rights among Puerto Ricans (and Haitians, and working class women in general) that continues today. Ignoring this reality is easy. Yet, it is a part of my, our history that I can't simply forget or overlook. If I choose to ignore this history I also choose to ignore the history of activism by members of my community that has helped to create change at an institutional level. Ignoring this reality and history also perpetuates the ideas that historically oppressed communities are not important in the work we do today. There are some things I'm not ready to ignore or forge and many of those are the power of language. The adjectives used to describe members of my community are horrifying. I don't care if it was how people spoke "in that time," they were and remain inappropriate. To describe our homeland as "slums," "jungles," and our community as "undesirable," "genetically inferior," and "ignorant" is defendable? The ideology "that the poor, uneducated, women of Puerto Rico could follow the Pill regimen, then women anywhere in the world could too" is not condescending to you? Don't be fooled. There was almost nothing that was "female controlled" or "empowering" about being a part of the trial for many participants, especially after they realized they were taking a medication that they did not know was not approved."

- Why I'm Not Celebrating the Pill | RHRealityCheck.org

 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: