Wednesday, May 12, 2010

new and improved bio y’all…

this bio/ this person right here, is amazing!!!

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 


so i revised the bio on the 'i am me' page.  honestly, it took me months to do it.  i struggled with whether or not i should depict myself as more commercially viable, or just step further into the margins, who was the audience for the bio, a whole bunch of advice from different folks, and my constant fear of being 'arrogant', too imidating, 'over the top' and frankly just too weird.  how to balance my activism history with my art production.  all the while wanting to be transparent and honest about who i am, what i have done, what i am doing, and my vision for my life and our world.

in the end, i figured i just have to do my own thing.  if i am honest about myself, i will attract folks who want to build with the authentic me.

there is nothing wrong with who i am.

Mai'a 'who should have been named Nikki' according to the poet, Nikki Giovanni, is a visionary healer and media maker.  She has lived and worked in the Middle East, southern Mexico and east Africa with refugee and displaced women under the threat of violence, also she has organized and accompanied communities and persons within the US/Canadian urban landscape, engaging in issues including: race, working poor, sex work, prisons, drug addiction, police brutality, and queer rights. Living in Cairo, Egypt, she is a free lance writer, poet, journalist, zinester, photographer, multi-media performer, and outlaw midwife.
She has dedicated her body and life to stopping by any means necessary and possible the violence (whether it be state, military, communitarian, medical, domestic, etc.) that threatens our survival on this earth and to co-creating with you revolutionary, liberatory communities.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: