Friday, October 2, 2009

Solange in Honey Mag.

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via c h a s e o l o g y . c o m [ ..b00m.. ] by chaaaase. for CHASEOLOGY.COM on 10/2/09

Photobucket

"I love this spread." -chase.

Whenever I'm asked to define today's Honey girl, my quick, canned response is: "We're more Solange, than Beyonce." Now don't get me wrong, Honey hearts Queen Bey (the supernova keeps us perpetually entertained and inspired) but we tend to identify with the 23-year-old rebel — the adventurous, outspoken, risk-embracing, cuss-you-out-if-you-even-try-to-diss-her-sis, outrageous-ensemble-rocking singer/songwriter. And the list goes on:

  • Her tweets inspire countless midday outbursts of laughter (and plenty of RTs)
  • Her fashion-forward 'fits send us into fits of envy (and reckless shopping sprees).
  • During our photo shoot, she insisted on climbing into an abandoned shopping cart (in sparkly leggings and a Gordon Gartrell-esque top).
  • Even though the sun called it quits, she refused to leave until the last shot was perfect. (There was no way she was bouncing before rocking the vintage Christian Dior party frock!)
  • Her playlist had us jamming (and Googling names of the bands we didn't recognize like the beguiling Grizzly Bear, of Montreal, Chairlift, and Theophilus London).
  • She was actually amused (and slightly interested) when she detected the pungent smell of "mixed greens" wafting from someone's bag…

We hope you enjoy gawking at her gorgeous, weave-free mug as much as we enjoyed shooting it.

You talked a little bit about your stages for fashion and philosophy but what would you say this stage is in your style evolution? What are you looking toward for spring 2010?
I think right now, I'm learning how to incorporate completely different extremes as to my last record, it was just like an overstimulation of extremes, which I love. Now, I'm learning how to have one more simple extreme or one more statement extreme, and learning how to blend those together. But you probably will still see me rocking animal print as I did the other day. Someone cracked up laughing and was like 'Where the hell do you think you're going with flannel, leopard and stripes?' I was like 'I'm going to tackle my day.'

Photobucket

It sounds like you guys have a good situation worked out there. I have to ask about dating. How's that going?
It's going… umm… that is definitely where I become the typical industry girl that says…

I'm married to my work!
(Laughs) I've been in this game way too long to expose that part because even if you have something good, it can be criticized and massacred, dissected. It may even start tension that wasn't there. It's really easy to assume with this new-age blog thing and Twittering. It's just a tough situation.

Well, speaking of assumptions. I think a lot of people have been zeroing in on Twitter convos between you and a certain Mr. Wale, automatically linking the two of you together. Then we see Central Park photos…
Riiiight.

Whether we're rooting for it or not… we just want to know.
Well, he's definitely not my boyfriend.

Well, we can cross that off the list.
No, I just stated that he's not my boyfriend, but we are good friends. I have worked with him in the past and I think he's uber-talented. I think he's really smart and really creative. And I respect his art. We have a mutual thing. We're on the same record label and yeah…

We're really excited about his album.
Yeah, I am, too.

I'm wondering can we expect any Solange appearances?
No, we had a song entitled "Fuck the Industry."

Yes, one of our faves.
But no, we don't have a song on each other's record. We worked together on the VMAs. That went really well. We were trying to find the damn footage. Everyone only got to see a sni… not a snippet, I call it a 'sni'.

Read (the ENTIRE ARTICLE) and Gawk at Her HERE.

 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: