Tuesday, June 22, 2010

12th Annual Allied Media Conference Report Back #AMC2010

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via The Crunk Feminist Collective by moyazb on 6/22/10

12th Annual Allied Media Conference flyer Yellow sun burst stripes on teal sky with white lettering

This weekend I attended my favorite conference, The Allied Media Conference in Detroit. This year was way more subdued than the last two years I've attended. There were less people of color present, I didn't go to very many sessions, I was on my period, feeling real low energy and  it was still amazing, transformative, and once again reminded me of what I'm here to do in this world. Even with its challenges, the AMC is the kind of conference that has me checking the calendar to make sure I've got it on deck for next year.

The most powerful part of the conference for me was being connected to the Creating Collective Access folks, organized in less than a month by some of the fiercest people I know. I was reminded how conferences themselves create a non-sustainable way of folks relating to each other, to themselves and their own needs. On some days the conference schedule was filled from 8am- 2am. Being connected to the collective access folks allowed me to give myself permission to chill, to not push through exhaustion and inattentiveness to be at every session, to not sacrifice a really good slow conversation to make it to a panel presentation on listening. I felt more in my body, more aware of my needs.

Creating Collective Access also had me questioning what collective space looks like and what to do when access may be so different for different people. I went to one of the sessions that was part of the Indigenous Media and Technology track and the presenters were using smoke as a tool in the workshop. I was thinking about folks with disabilities that need scent free spaces and how you hold those things together or if you can't, what do you do? Are we willing to do what it takes to create or use tools to share across real boundaries?

I was amazed by Adrienne Marie Brown's Octavia Butler Symposium, people's overwhelming interest as well as her awesome awesome facilitation skills. Adrienne is so fierce she had the notes up later that day! Check them out here! I was once again struck by folks reluctance and perhaps inability to talk about trauma in our movement and how we heal or don't from all these –isms that impact our lives.

I feel softer now and sharper at the same time. Refined and focused, recommitted to kindness with direction and more prepared to speak up as an ally for the disability justice movement and the rights of indigenous peoples. I'm full and content and feel myself coming into a new era of myself.  I'm hopeful and it feels really good.



 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: