Thursday, June 17, 2010

Eternal Summer Reading List

Hello loved ones!

Yesterday as we drove from Atlanta to London, Kentucky on the MobileHomeComing Journey I started to wax nostalgic about summer reading. Clearly I have been reading all year long since I was 2, but there was something about the booklet we used to get from school with recommended summer reading and the trip to the library to get the books and the excitement that though school was over books would always always be with me. Now that I have my PhD receipt in hand and it is officially Eternally Summer AND I've just returned crates and crates of books to Duke University Library...I want to reinstitute summer reading for all of us (and especially for all of you that have been asking me for booklists)!

Yippee!

So the theme of this Summer Reading List is....SPIRIT (and no I wasn't on the cheerleading squad) as you get ready for a soon-coming publication Spirit Vol. 2 of the Little Black (Feminist) Book series...get a head start on some of the reading that has given me access to Black Feminism as a spiritual practice and an everyday healing and inspiring walk.

Books that I have read:

(please feel free to donate one or more of these to the Eternal Summer of the Black Feminist Lending Library via this wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/9JXRNX84Z3R9/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_wl)

Non/fiction


Pedagogies of Crossing: Meditations on Feminism, Sexual Politics, Memory, and the Sacred (Perverse Modernities) by M. Jacqui Alexander

Zami, Audre Lorde

Fiction


At the Full and Change of the Moon, Dionne Brand

The Salt Eaters, Toni Cade Bambara

The Salt Roads, Nalo Hopkinson

Sula, Toni Morrison

Poetry


The World is Round, Nikky Finney

Gospel, Samiya Bashir

The Book of Light, Lucille Clifton

AND A non-fiction book that I haven't read yet that I REALLY want to read: (please feel free to donate this to the Eternal Summer of the Black Feminist Lending Library via this wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/wishlist/9JXRNX84Z3R9/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_wl)

by Angel Kyodo Williams


Have the best summer ever. May it never end.

love,

lex

No comments: