Friday, January 15, 2010

It's This One Thing (That Got Me Trippin')

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via my best friend gayle by summer of sam on 1/15/10

One more thing about Pat Robertson.  I failed to say anything about "Christy," the black woman sitting next to Pat during the video as he spews his diabolical racist drivel.  I've read a couple of people dissing Christy.  I get it.  She's sitting next to a dude spitting vitriol against her brethren, just nodding her head to the point where we might question her level of comprehension--does she actually believe what Robertson is saying?  Does she agree that Haitians made a deal with the Devil?  Gifting their souls in exchange for their freedom?

Then again, I wonder if Christy is just dumbfounded.  Admittedly, I don't know anything about the woman.  To add, her affiliation with Pat Robertson probably indicates that she deserves our wrath.  Yet I've also been silenced by racist words, been so stuck thinking "Wait a minute.  Is this person actually saying these things to me?" that I couldn't muster any noise, let alone a serious and coherent response.  I don't know about other folks, but whatever wit I might have has escaped me on those few occasions when someone says something incredibly racist to me.  Esprit d'escalier f'real.  By the time the exchange is over I'm still at, "Wow, I can't believe (s)he just said that."  It is/would be so much easier to response when/if they('d just) call you nigger--for me, least.

 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: