Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lucille, which stands for light

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via Words, Words, Words by teresa on 2/17/10


Lucille Clifton has passed away. She leaves behind family and friends, powerful poetry and countless black women writers for whom she was a patron saint. I once heard someone say that she was a poet's poet. I have read only a small portion of her work, but I see why. She seemed to look inward, to her own life and community and this very spiritual, political act of being a woman, for inspiration. A singular depiction of an isolated instance can reveal answers about the whole of humanity. Everything is everything.


Among the things I take away from her work, I take that I am enough. Lucille Clifton could have written of loftier things; she could have made references to things I know nothing of and flexed language that required a vocabulary lesson before I could get through a poem. She didn't do that. She spoke to being human, of women and men and babies and families. She spoke of God and light and death and thriving – apartments, city blocks, neighborhoods. All she needed was right there. We were enough for her. We are enough still.


Lucille, "which stands for light", shine always. Amen.
**

I've now added The Book of Light to my reading list.

 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: