Tuesday, February 23, 2010

thingsimreading: Black American Women You Need to Know Day 23:...

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via guerrilla mama on 2/23/10



thingsimreading:

Black American Women You Need to Know

Day 23: Nina Simone

Nina's birthday was Sunday, and as usual i am behind. February is a busy month though!

Before i begin to say anything, first things first, you must see her perform one of my favorites. :)

Ain't Got No

Okay, so it's true, i first heard of Nina thanks to the movie Point of No Return, shortly after i got out of high school. That's probably a pathetic way to find out about someone as important as Nina, but the point is that i did learn of her. i remember being with friends on a road trip to some little hippie town and searching for Nina Simone CD's while one of my friend's was getting a hard-to-find (and awesome) Tori Amos box set.

Also known as the High Priestess of Soul, she paid great attention to the musical expression of emotions. Within one album or concert she could fluctuate between exhuberant happiness and tragic melancholy.

(via NinaSimone.com)

Check out Love Me or Leave Me or the classic, Feeling Good.

Nina was, of course, more than just a singer and musician, but also an activist for civil rights. So a lot of the things we now take for granted, like so many other women i've written about this month, are in part due to her efforts. She was so active that she felt it necessary to leave the country in exile.

I think the rich will eventually have to cave in too, because the economic situation around the world is not gonna tolerate the United States being on top forever.

Greed has driven the world crazy. And I think I'm lucky that I have a place over here that I can call home.

(via BrainyQuotes)

Backlash Blues, by Langston Hughes & Nina Simone

Mr. Backlash, Mr. Backlash
Just who do think I am
You raise my taxes, freeze my wages
And send my son to Vietnam

You give me second class houses
And second class schools
Do you think that alla colored folks
Are just second class fools
Mr. Backlash, I'm gonna leave you
With the backlash blues

When I try to find a job
To earn a little cash
All you got to offer
Is your mean old white backlash
But the world is big
Big and bright and round
And it's full of folks like me
Who are black, yellow, beige and brown
Mr. Backlash, I'm gonna leave you
With the backlash blues

Mr. Backlash, Mr. Backlash
Just what do you think I got to lose
I'm gonna leave you
With the backlash blues
You're the one will have the blues
Not me, just wait and see

(lyrics via LyricsDepot)

There's no excuse for the young people not knowing who the heroes and heroines are or were.

(via BrainyQuotes)

Click thru on the photo to a gallery of awesome photos

 

 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: