Friday, January 14, 2011

How You Shop When You Are Poor

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via on 1/14/11

elfstaranymore:

I had to put this behind a cut because it's way long for Tumblr, but I really hope you'll read it because I think it's a very important post.

I started discussing this a little bit here, but I wanted to expand on the idea of how shopping on a very tight budget works, because obviously some people have no idea. I will add the caveat that this is how shopping was done in my family, by which I mean shopping with food stamps for a family with no dietary restrictions, with access to a car, and in a rural area of the U.S. Obviously each family's needs are different and that is why food prescriptivism - which, remember, is a form of body policing - is fucked up.

Read More


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: