Saturday, January 1, 2011

introducing the white (or perceived as white) privilege while travelling che...

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via freedom fighter. on 1/1/11

introducing the white (or perceived as white) privilege while travelling checklist.:

as they called off the students names and assigned them to teachers, I watched as the students who would be paired with me writhed around in their seats in discomfort. I watched their hopeful eyes shift and sink when they saw my brown face. I could only imagine their inner dialogues went something like this: "wait? my teacher is Indian, wait, black, oh no! they don't speak english in Africa! are we sure she's American?"

nothing can prepare your heart for that sight.

they looked so disappointed.

when the students who were paired with my white co-teachers were called, they looked so relieved, some even sighed happy sighs. I felt like I'd been picked last for kickball teams. or maybe like a cruel parent who gave one twin child a really badass birthday gift like a pony, and gave the other kid…a book.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: