Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Post "Gender Politics of the Dance Floor."

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via New Model Minority on 12/31/10

Dancing earlier this week had me thinking about how space is gendered. And by gendered I mean ideas about "men's" and "women's" roles are so powerful that  they shape how men and women interact AND  the roles become amplified in certain spaces.

The streets and the dancefloor are two space that come to mind, but in this post I am going to focus on the dance floor.

Dance Floor Experiences.

Well, last week, my cheek brushed passed a heterosexual identified gentleman's. He responded, "YO, your cheeks are mad soft." They are, I have cubby cheeks, they run in my family. He then leaned in to touch them again.

I leaned back matrix style then responded saying, "You have to get consent first." He then asked.

This reminds me of how much negotiation goes in Black women's bodies simply BEING in public spaces.

I think that the dance floor is the first place were I was comfortable claiming my autonomy and space even as a dancer kid and teenager.

As a good dancer, people naturally GIVE you space, because they enjoy the performance.

I am now only beginning to put all these pieces together.

In fact it wasn't until I was dancing in August that Green Eyes, pointed out to me that I am a space clearer. It makes sense, because I need space to dance.

But the reality you simply need space to BE.

More.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: