Tuesday, February 1, 2011

thehuskybro:sexdrugsandirony:Egypt Organizes Million Strong March“They have ...

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via Liquor&Spice on 2/1/11

thehuskybro:

sexdrugsandirony:

Egypt Organizes Million Strong March

"They have confidence, they have hope, they have dignity. They feel that they have been reborn from being slaves into human beings."-Opposition leader, Mohamed ElBaradei on the wave of "New Egyptians"

I just want to say that I admire what the Egyptian people are doing. I wish I was in the crowd with them.

Picture and quote via MSNBC

…and they did it without Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton!  Imagine that!

Yup. And I think that's the best way to do it. Makes it sooo much harder for oppressors to use image of a spokesperson/strawman to invalidate the movement.  I have a lot of problems with Jackson and Sharpton, but there's a reason the mainstream likes to frame them as silly, oversensitive, caricatures instead of engage them as Civil Rights activists and elders. 


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: