Thursday, February 17, 2011

Meet Brittny Ray. My big sis. I met her at Spelman College when...

 
 

Sent to you by moya via Google Reader:

 
 

via Composed. on 2/17/11



Meet Brittny Ray. My big sis. I met her at Spelman College when I was a pup and budding and marveling at discovering my power. It was a mythical time in the world of Black College life in which the young black artists were experiencing a new renaissance in Atlanta that suckled on the spirit of Harlem. We studied Fire!! reading the words of Zora and savoring them like the sweetest honey. Like Langston and others had done in Harlem, my new family of writers, thinkers, painters, and muckrakers took me in under their wings.

Brittny re-introduced me to myself in ways that thrust me into a spiritual life that I had but a hazy memory of prior. When she wrote, her words were effortlessly fervent. I began to focus on painting emotional pictures with my own words. She is one of the best poets I've ever met or read. And I love her so much. What can I say; Google her.


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments: